How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare St. Catharines, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music Therapy: Three days a week we have a Certified Music Therapist who engages residents through music to help them work on their language and speech skills, make connections to their past, come out of their shells and interact socially and to work on motor skills by using musical instruments.
- Tai Chi Classes: Once a week an instructor comes in to conduct a Tai Chi class to residents seated on chairs.
- Arts & Crafts:Residents enjoy creating works of art where final projects are often displayed in our garden-view room to be admired and appreciated by all.
- Casino Slot Machine: We have a Casino Slot Machine which is a very engaging and popular way for many residents to have some fun and score points that can be redeemed for prizes through the Resident’s Council.
- Mentor Program: We have a Mentor Program where students from Brock University complete their final work placement in our home. Students learn skills including the use of iPads in communication, music programs, teaching computer skills, and resident care.
- Intergenerational Program: Through our Intergenerational Program our residents look forward to spending time with children, ages 4 to 12 from the local schools and day care centres, doing crafts, learning about exotic animals or playing board games.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Certified Music Therapist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist